Tuesday 12 December 2017

Wreckage




              "...full of broken thoughts..."
                               -Johnny Cash






         

     June:
     Scene: Interior, daylight, sunny, early summer. Scribbler and loyal dog in center of scene, surrounded by debris.  Scribbler stands, mug in hand, surveying the wreckage of his blog.  He scratches loyal dog behind her ear, raises his mug, swallows the dregs of this morning's coffee.   Scribbler adjusts his cap, squints into the distance, and his shoulders slump.

      "Well, shit."

     Scribbler  turns , loyal dog following, and walks out the door. At the threshold Scribbler pauses, and takes one last look over his shoulder, then, decision made, closes the door and walks away.

     December:
     Scene: Interior, daylight, overcast, winter.  Scribbler opens blog door and steps in, mug in hand, loyal dog at his side.  He takes a deep breath, exhales slowly.

     "I've got some work to do."

      Loyal dog nods.




     So, here's the deal:

      When I first cracked the seal on this trainwreck back in 2011, Blogger was a little tightfisted with image storage.  It wasn't long before I had to find a third party to host my photos, and I already had a Photobucket account.  This was an arrangement that worked okay- I uploaded my photos to Photobucket, then shared the photos to my blog.  It wasn't as efficient as simply loading the pics into the blog, but it was what it was.

     Right up until it no longer was.

      In June, with no notice, with no warning, with no communication, Photobucket decided to end third-party hosting. Overnight, pictures disappeared from my blog.

    HUNDREDS of pictures.

     DAMN NEAR ALL OF THE PICTURES AND VIDEOS that populate the Dock Six Chronicles were
      JUST.
      PLAIN.
      GONE.

    Which kinda makes the majority of posts valueless.

    Over THREE HUNDRED POSTS, approximately THREE HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND WORDS become blinker fluid because the PICTURES ARE MISSING.


    FUCK.

      It was beyond discouraging, and decisions had to be made, so I decided:

      I decided not to decide.

      I just quietly closed the door on the wreckage and walked away until I was ready to deal with it.

     I'm ready.

     I think.

     Over the next few week I will be finding, importing, moving, and shuffling  images and rebuilding posts from files found on dormant computers, memory sticks and sd cards.

    Bear with me.  This gonna take some time.  But, make no mistake...


     I'M BACK.

 


   

5 comments:

  1. Same deal with me. Fuck those guys. I have been seeing which posts on my blog (which goes back farther and is even more photo-heavy) have been affected and which are popular and "re-upping" from my own hard drive. Luckily, my photos are organized by month hierarchically, so it's pretty easy to find what I need. Still, fuck those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back - I like your writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that sux, BD. And creepy how many of us have had some variant of that same problem -- in my case when the newspaper I wrote for at the time went to a new web format. I was pretty anal about keeping copies of everything on my hard drive, individual folders with the Wors file of the text plus copies of the pix. Very tedious but I got almost all of them back. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When shit hits the fan
    You have to make a new plan
    So never mind and pout
    Just sit down and sweat it out
    One thing to me is very clear
    Don't switch the coffee for a beer
    If you do that you will never fix
    Problems of chronicles dock six

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's in the cloud" will no doubt morph into a new and more negative meaning.

    those flooded marina pictures remind me of our own Elephant Boatyard challenges

    http://bursledonblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/spring-tide.html

    Love the day boat (Blue Jay?)

    ReplyDelete