Thursday, 30 June 2016
"This heat has got right out of hand..."
* I started writing this post on May 30th....how the HELL did it become the end of June????
Spring has sprung...
... and then more Summer came along and kicked it's ass.
Check this- May 13th, we had sun, rain and temps around 15 degrees on the c scale.
May 14th, we had 30 knot winds and 6 degree temps.
May 15th, we had snow on the Dock.
Note that I did not opt to do any boatwork on those days. Nope, not me. I had a list of things to do but...
I opted out. I called it on account of weather.
SWMBO and I got a lot done in the weeks prior to splash, including, new carpet, new foam for the cabin cushions, and a new Low-Buck swim platform...
Karma hit the water on the first Friday of May, one of our earliest launches ever....
...and she promptly decided to start to sink.
I was toiling away at my day job, making local businesses locally famous, so SWMBO was supervising the launch solo. As I was on my way to the boatyard, toiling completed, I received a cryptic text message:
Is SWMBO thirsty?
Is she telling me that the boat is now in the water?
Or...is she telling me that the water is now in the boat?
Then, I received another cryptic text message:
So, I hurried.
I got to the yard, and spied SWMBO in Karma's cockpit, pumping away. Turns out, "water" was , in deed, coming into the boat.... at a worrisome rate. "Hurry" was appropriate, as the sole was awash, and SWMBO was usunre where the water was coming from. I hurried down the companionway ladder, tore open access panels, checked the stuffing box (fine) and then the raw water strainer (decidedly unfine, water streaming from the top of the reservoir).
I closed the seacock so the water stopped hurrying into the boat and removed the strainer and found that the o-ring seal was no longer sealing.
It's Friday, it's after 5, nothing is open that is going to have the part that will solve this problem. As I was pondering the paucity of options, Skipper Andy wanders past, headed to Cyclone, docked at the Bridge yachts yard this season. I yell, enquiring rather loudly whether he may have any sealant materials aboard.
Turns out he does- and it is appropriately named:
a strip of caulk later, and we're back in business, leak free.
It turns out that the water strainer seal has likely been quietly leaking, unseen, for several years- the strainer is located in a corner of the engine bay and the leak was not visible. But, that unseen unknown leak meant that we had to be vigilant to pump our smallish bilge ever 3-4 days. Since resealing, we now pump our bilge every 7- 10 days, with little to show for the effort.
So, boat no longer sinking, we fire up the trusty Yanmar YSM-8 and set off downriver and around the corner to the marina, and we survey what's new on the Dock.
Turns out, quite a bit.
More to come in Pt. 2.
Thanks for stopping by. Please "Talk the Dock!" and pass the word.